Sickness Benefit

The National Insurance Sickness Benefit is paid to an insured person who is incapable of working because of sickness or because he is suspected of having a contagious disease and is so certified by a Registered Medical Practitioner. This benefit is not paid if the incapacity arose from injury on the job. You may however be entitled to the Employment Injury Benefit/s if the incapacity arose from injury on the job.

Who Can Claim?

An insured person A person who is insured under the National Insurance Act Chapter 32:01 or a person in insurable employment is sick and between 16 and 65 years, who suffers a loss of earnings as a result of illness or contagious disease for 4 or more days. The insured person must have made a minimum of ten (10) contributions in the 13-weeks prior to the illness.

This benefit is not available to persons between 60 and 65 years, who are in receipt of the Retirement Pension or who have received a Retirement Grant and returned to work.

Forms To Be Completed

NI15 Sickness Benefit Claim Form

N15A Medical Certificate for Continuing Illness

Other Documents

  • Birth certificate (if not previously submitted).
  • A Marriage Certificate is required for a married woman whose name has changed since her registration, and a completed NI 182 (Change of Particulars of the Insured Person) where necessary.
  • Foreign medicals will only be accepted where the duration, start date of illness and nature of incapacity are clearly stated and the attending doctor signs, dates and stamps the form. Such medicals must be accompanied by a letter of authentication from a Trinidad and Tobago High Commission or Embassy in the country in which the treatment was received. The responsibility for authenticating the status of the attending doctor rests with the insured.

When To Claim?

A claim must be submitted to the Service Centre nearest to you within three (3) months of onset of illness or loss of earnings whichever is later.

Time Frames:

  • 0 - 3 Months        -    Claim on time and can be accepted
  • 3 - 12 Months      -    Claim late and may be accepted with good cause
  • 12 Months and over    -    Claim late and shall be disallowed


How To Claim?

Submit your claim to the NIBTT Service Centre most convenient to you. There, one of our customer service representatives will accept your claim for processing.

Late Applications

You must apply on time to ensure that you receive your benefit. Failure to submit your claim to the NIBTT within 6 months of the start of your illness or loss of income can result in you losing all or part of your benefit. You may lose any period that is more than 6 months earlier than the date on which the NIBTT receives your claim unless you can show there was good cause for the delay in submission. Your explanation must be submitted in writing. Even with good cause you may still lose your benefit.

Even with good cause, if your claim is made more than 12 months after the start of your illness or loss of earnings, the benefit shall be forfeited.

How Much Will Be Paid?

The earnings class in which your benefit will be paid is determined by the average of the 10 highest contributions in the 13 weeks (3 months) immediately preceding the week in which you became ill.

The value of your benefit will be the maximum benefit rate payable in the corresponding earnings class if your loss of earnings is equal to or exceeds that benefit rate. Where loss of earnings is less than the maximum rate payable in the said class then the value of the benefit will be equal to your actual loss of earnings.

The Benefit is paid from the first day of incapacity to a maximum of 52 weeks if you are certified ill and incapable of working and lose earnings.

Benefit Credits

While you are receiving the Sickness Benefit no contributions are due to the Board on your behalf. You will receive benefit creditsA contribution credited to an insured person in receipt of benefit in the same earnings class in which the benefit is paid. A credit is given for each week the benefit is paid from the National Insurance Board as if you were on the job and contributing to the system. These contributions will be awarded in the same earnings class in which your benefit is paid. The benefit credits will ensure that your loss of earnings does not affect the entitlement to any further benefits.

Use of National Insurance Forms
Whenever  you perform National Insurance functions under the National Insurance Act or Regulations, you must accurately complete the specific National Insurance forms that are designed so that you can give all the information required.

All of these forms are available FREE of charge at any National Insurance Service Centre or are downloadable.