Qualifying For Registration

Who Must Be Registered?

  • Every person or entity that employs at least one other person and pays that person at least $200.00 per week; or employs unpaid apprentices must be registered as an Employer within 14 days of employing his first employee/unpaid apprentice.

  • Any employee who earns $200.00 or more per week. The contract of employment may be written or oral, expressed or implied. Paid and unpaid apprentices are also required to be registered.

  • Anyone employed in a professional capacity on a full-time basis, for which a salary is paid. This includes a Doctor at a Hospital, a Priest, Pastor, Nun or domestic who receives a salary of $200.00 per week or more.

  • Anyone employed as a Share Fisherman or Taxi Driver or Traveling Salesman, where a Contract allows for payment to be made on a share of earnings or profits.

  • Anyone employed temporarily with a Firm, Business Organization, Government Department or Statutory Body (e.g. student during vacation periods $200.00 per week or more).

  • Insurance Agents or Car Salesmen who work on a full time basis and are paid by commission on sales $200.00 per week or more.

  • Foreign employees engaged in work in Trinidad & Tobago on a contract basis, or on Work Permits.

  • Who May Not Register?

  • Persons who are employed and who earns less than $200.00 per week.

  • This refers to persons entering the system on or after March 03, 2014.
  • A person who is not a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago and who is exempt from Social Security Legislation by virtue of International Conventions governing Diplomatic and Consular Relations.

  • A person employed by an International Organization of which Trinidad and Tobago is a member and who is covered by a Social Security System operated by that Organization.

  • A person who has been granted exemption under the terms of a reciprocal social security agreement between that country and Trinidad and Tobago.

  • Still Have A Problem?

    If you have any difficulty in understanding your role and function with respect to National Insurance, you should visit the most convenient National Insurance Service Centre, where the Manager and staff will be pleased to assist you.   In addition, an Authorised Officer will be pleased to provide you with further explanations or assistance upon request. 

    You may also request a free educational seminar for your employees, through the Corporate Communications Department, via email at seminars@nibtt.net

    Contact the NIBTT Hot-line: 625-4NIS (625-4647) or e-mail us at customercare@NIBTT.net.


    Use of National Insurance Forms
    Whenever  you perform National Insurance functions under the National Insurance Act or Regulations, you must accurately complete the specific National Insurance forms that are designed so that you can give all the information required.

    All forms are available FREE of charge at any National Insurance Service Centre or are downloadable.