Medical Expenses - Constant Care and Attendance Allowance

Medical expenses are paid for employment injury to an insured person who is rendered incapable of work through personal injury caused by an accident, which arises out of and during his employment, or through a prescribed industrial disease caused by the nature of his employment.


  • A certificate from the attending doctor, advising that constant care and attendance is required, and the period for which same is required.
  • A statement from the person or institution (e.g. convalescent home) providing the care, indicating the period(s) for which the services were rendered.  

When To Apply?

You must apply for the benefit within 3 months of the date on which the expenses were incurred.

Late Applications

You must apply on time to ensure that you receive your benefit.  Failure to submit your claim to the Board within 3 months of incurring the medical expense can result in you losing all or part of your benefit. You may lose benefit for any expense incurred that is more than 3 months earlier than the date on which the Board receives your claim unless you can show there was good cause for the delay in submission. Your explanation must be submitted in writing. Even with good cause you may still lose your benefit.

Even with good cause, if your claim is made more than 12 months after incurring the expense the benefit shall be forfeited.

How To Apply?

Submit your claim to the NIBTT Service Centre most convenient to you. There, one of our customer service representatives will accept your claim for processing.

How Much Will Be Paid

There are limits in each category with the maximum amount payable as medical expenses for an injury being $28,500.00. 

Use of National Insurance FormsWhenever you perform National Insurance functions under the National Insurance Act or Regulations, you must accurately complete the specific National Insurance forms that are designed so that you can give all the information required.

All of these forms are available FREE of charge at any National Insurance Service Centre or are downloadable.