Invalidity Benefit

The National Insurance Invalidity Benefit is paid to an insured person who is medically certified as an invalid and who has made the required number of contributions to the system.

An invalid is a person who is likely to remain incapable of working for a period of not less than 12 months as a result of a specific disease or bodily or mental disablement.

Who Can Claim

Insured persons who are under the age of 60 and certified as an invalid by a medical practitioner, and who have made any of the following mix of contributions to the system:-

  • Made a minimum of 150 contributions, 50 of which must have been made during the 3 years immediately preceding the start of incapacity; or
  • Made 250 contributions in the 7 years immediately preceding the start of incapacity; or
  • Made 750 contributions or more.

How To Apply?

Complete the application for Invalidity Benefit Form N.I. 38 and return it to the NIBTT Service Centre most convenient to you.  There, one of our customer service representatives will accept your claim for processing.

Requirements when filling the N.I. 38 Form

To complete the form you must: -

  • Complete Section A of the Form
  • Take the form to your medical practitioner who must complete Section B.
  • Take the completed form together with supporting documents to the Service Centre
  • .

Supporting Documentation

  • Your Birth certificate if not previously submitted.
  • Any supporting affidavit or Deed Poll (to support your given or acquired name).
  • Marriage Certificate is required for a married woman whose name has changed since her registration with the National Insurance System.
  • A Decree Absolute from a divorced woman where necessary.
  • Foreign medicals will only be accepted where the duration, start date of illness and ailment are clearly stated and the attending doctor signs, dates and stamps the form. Such medicals must be accompanied by a letter of authentication from a Trinidad and Tobago High Commission or Embassy in the country in which the treatment was received. The responsibility for authenticating the status of the attending doctor rests with the insured.
  • Original and copy of avalid PICTURE ID of both the claimant and the person submitting the claim on behalf of the claimant (where applicable) is required for acceptance of the claim.

Alternative Evidence of Date of Birth

Where you are unable to submit your Birth Certificate, the NIBTT may in special circumstances accept, as alternative evidence of age, documents for which the presentation of a Birth Certificate maybe a requirement for issue. These will include: -

  • A valid passport.
  • A valid driver’s permit.
  • A valid Electoral Identification Card.
  • Naturalisation records.
  • Baptismal certificate (registered within 1 year of birth).
  • Religious records.
  • School Records.
  • Armed Forces discharge record.
  • Self-sworn affidavit (as a last resort).

Alternative Evidence of Employment

Where contributions may be outstanding on your behalf, you may be asked to supply alternative evidence of employment such as:

  • TD4 slips.
  • Pay slips.
  • Record of service for computing employment-related Retiring Benefits (daily and monthly paid public servants).
  • Pension and Leave Records.
  • Record of service for computing severance benefit.
  • Letter from employer providing detailed information.
  • Assessment Notice from the Board of Inland Revenue.

When To Apply?

You must apply for the benefit within13 weeks (3 months) of the first day of being certified as being an invalid by your doctor.

Invalidity Benefits Part 2

Use of National Insurance Forms
Whenever  you perform National Insurance functions under the National Insurance Act or Regulations, you must accurately complete the specific National Insurance forms that are designed so that you can give all the information required.

All of these forms are available FREE of charge at any National Insurance Service Centre or are downloadable.